February 21, 2017

CLIPPER BASEBALL CLUB MEETING

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Opening:

Clipper Baseball Club meeting was held on Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at Throttle Down in Tiffin, IA at 7:30pm.

Club Members Present: Trent DeKoter (President), Adam Henderson (Vice-President), Darci Roehler (Operations Officer), Golda Monohon (Secretary), Reggie Meade (Alternate), Bob Morlan (Alternate)

  1. Practice Field Times:

Jonas Zimmerman will send a Google calendar to the coaches with the assigned practice times.  Darci would like to add practice times to the CCABC website.

  1. Club Payments:

Next payment ($150) is due March 1st.  Bill is taking care of NSF checks.

  1. Uniforms:

Hats, Pants, Belts and Helmet decals are all done at Ironside Apparel.  The jerseys will be done at the end of this week.  Players will not receive their uniform until their 2nd payment is received.  Darci would like to send an email to all parents in case there is anyone that would like to order a 2nd jersey (not alternate).

Helmets will be painted in order of age.  7U & 8U teams have dropped off their helmets.  10U will be next.  14U will not be painting their helmets this year.

  1. Website:

Trevor (administrator for the website) stated that someone tried to upload a document onto the calendar which caused the errors on the website a couple weeks ago.

  1. Clipper Tournament (Teams):

11U and 14U are full

13U needs 2 more teams

12U needs 1 more team

8U has 4 teams

9U has 3 teams

10U has 4 teams

10U AAA has 3 teams

12U has 6 teams

Need 8 or 4 teams signed up for each group, otherwise we will need to do a round robin.  West Liberty has an 8U team to add to the tournament, but still needs to enter the players through USSSA.  7U will be playing in the PST league that weekend in Cedar Rapids.

Kyle (from Diamond Dreams) will find someone to set up the brackets for the tournament.  Trent will fill out the brackets by hand, but the person from Diamond Dreams will post the brackets to the website.  Adam has been entering the team information onto the USSSA website.

 

  1. Clipper Tournament (Fields):

City will prep the fields in the morning (Saturday and Sunday) which includes dragging the fields and setting the bases.  The club needs volunteers in the morning (Saturday and Sunday) to follow behind the city to finish prepping, which includes setting up the pitching mounds, chalking the batter’s box and chalking the base lines.

9 pitching mounds (from Cedar Rapids) will need to be set up.  These pitching mounds are usually stored behind the shed.  The club still will need 2 golf carts to move pitching mounds.  Tiffin has pitching mounds as well, but Jonas will set these up the night before on Fields 1, 3 & 4.

Will need to have the Clipper teams (parents/coaches) maintain the fields throughout the tournament.  Need to start with the 2nd game.  There is a 15-minute break between games.  Clipper coaches need to have parents chalk and rake the fields (rake the batter’s box, chalk the batter’s box and base lines).  Bob Morlan will be the field maintenance “police” to make sure this is getting done.

9U, 13U and 14U teams will be playing in Tiffin.  10U AAA will be playing at Quail Ridge, but subject to change depending on how many teams participate in the tournament.

 

  1. Clipper Tournament (Concession Stand):

Need to obtain concession stand merchandise list from Bill.  The list was made by Christine Loren for the 2016 season and was given to Bill in a binder.

Darci to call Hy-Vee on 1st Ave (by City High).  Planning on providing brats, burgers and chicken.  Need to also ask if they can provide walking tacos, condiments (in packets) and other concession stand items:

Bubble gum                Soda                       Fruit (bananas/apples)

Muffins                        Coffee                     Sunflower seeds (flavored – such as pickle, ranch, bacon)

Gatorade                      Chips                      Granola Bars

Popcorn                       Candy bars (M&M’s, Snickers, Skittles, Starburst, Laffy Taffy, Ring Pops)

Neuzil’s have donated their trailer again this year for the club to borrow at the tournament.

Kona Ice will be at the tournament.  Hot chocolate will be available at Kona Ice.  10% of their sales will be donated to the club.

T-shirt vendor, Dunn Designs, will also be available to print tournament shirts.  Trent will provide them with the team lists.  20% of their sales will be donated to the club.

Matt Lode may have leftover necklaces to sell.

Bill and Lindsey Nash may have leftover koozies to sell.

 

  1. Clipper Tournament (Trophies):

Trent chose the trophies through Mississippi Valley Sports (Eldridge, IA).

  • 1st place Silver Bracket – plaques with baseball in the middle
  • 2nd place Silver Bracket – medals
  • 1st place Gold Bracket – plaques with baseball player in the middle

Will not take long for the order to arrive.  Will deliver medals and plaques to the house.  Will need to order at the beginning of April.  Will not be doing MVP medals this year.  This originally was a good idea, but the coaches do not like them.  Harder for coaches to pay attention to MVPs from the other team during the game.

 

  1. Clipper Baseball Club Scholarship:

Reggie voted against providing a scholarship.  Last year the club received negative feedback since the scholarship was presented to a non-club student.  CCABC should present the scholarship to a senior baseball player.  A point system should be put in place for the following criteria:

  • High School Baseball Player – # of points awarded
  • Past Baseball Club Player – # of points awarded
  • GPA – # of points awarded based upon score
  • ACT – # of points awarded based upon score
  • Will the student play athletics in college?
  • Essay

Reggie to set up template and point system.  This form will need to be provided to Mr. Hovey at the school right away for this year’s senior applicants.  The scholarship will be a $500 award.

 

  1. Fundraisers:

Bobbers fundraiser and raffle tickets raised ~$800-900 for the club even though there were less people present than the year before.  There were several other local events happening during the same week, such as wrestling tournaments and “Beat the Bitter” bar crawl.

Possibly do another fundraiser after spring break.

 

  1. Other Items:

Tiffin to build 2 more baseball fields located on the west side portion of the soccer fields starting spring 2017.  Tiffin would like to have 9 total baseball fields in the next 5 years.

 

  1. Action Items:
  • Darci to add field practice times to website
  • Darci to contact Hy-Vee on 1st regarding concession stand food and availability
  • Bill to take care of NSF checks
  • Bill to locate 2016 concession stand binder
  • Reggie to compose scholarship application and point system

 

Adjournment: 

Meeting was adjourned at 8:40pm by Trent DeKoter. The next meeting will be announced at a later time.

Minutes submitted by: Golda Monohon, Secretary